Thursday, September 22, 2016

HOW to find Heaven on Earth

**A FEW FUN SNIPPETS from our OSLO Sabbath/Children's Choir Videos are posted on our tumblr today. Check their more media: secretfood4us.tumblr.com **



an allison post


In our last newsletter we focused on Making Space within our understanding of seeking the kingdom. Its easy to do this with people you understand, who make you feel a little more like yourself. 

EXHIBIT A: Trip to Oslo!

God is ALWAYS PROVIDING, and there are not extents or boundaries. Immensely blessed. So my birthday celebration (as I believe that a birthday should last for the entirety of the month in which it debuts) continued into the next week with a short excursion to the capital of Norway which is thankfully only an hour and a half away. (The world map is deceiving, the length of Norway is almost equivalent to the distance between the Islands in the Florida Keys, all the way up into Maine. SO LONG!) We were thankful for an inexpensive getaway and exploration thanks to the hospitality of many already dear friends! SHOUT OUTS to Shalome & Jeremy Croos, Marius, and Frederick for being fantastic tour guides and hosts.

While there we were able to not only see the beautiful city, but to authentically worship together with a lot of  thanksgiving in some unexpected ways. We found ourselves wandering into deep conversation about how the LORD had saved us from death, transformed our families and communities, and gave us true friends. We were whole together and in those sharing places, it was so easy for us to make space for each other.


But it gets harder when your neighbor is outside your circle of friends and people who have proved they seek your best interest.

EXHIBIT B: The world around us, diversity from its front cover

Turmoil and Uprising seems to be an ever-present overtone in the activity projected in the news (most recently the all too common unarmed black men murdered at the hands of police), media, and communities. Its all too common to look at the news and lose heart as I see repeated offenses and suffering, stories with the same pretense, the same outcome, and the same response. Terrorism in Syria as the civil war continues, Migrant deaths and displacement in Europe as fear and confusion cripple opportunity for healing and progress, and National Terrorism in the states as we fight over what an American citizen really is and what rights certain people should have. People ask me all the time how different and what's so different living here in Norway although I find more similarities than i do differences considering the universal human experience. Sure, different social constructs, rules, cultural practices. But there are power struggles, isolating nationalistic views, and misunderstandings between people. I'll show you what I mean:


A story for Exhibit B

So, Jeremiah has been volunteering, really just hanging out at this really cool rehab center for post detox patients who are trying to rebuild their lives and do practical things to improve their daily living. Its meant a lot to him, and he's been jamming with music and affirming people there. He invited me to come, so I did. We got there at lunch time and after talking with a lady about some jewelry she was making we moved to our spots at the long farm-style lunch table and began to eat. I was practicing my Norwegian a lot at the table while asking people to send the bread or differentiating between which meat was poultry of red meat or whatever and they were really impressed saying "Du er veldig flink" or rather "You are very smart/clever". After a couple of them were saying that it was crazy how much Norwegian I knew for only being in Norway for 2 1/2 months, I responded with:

"Well, this is your country and its the language you speak. So why shouldn't I learn it?" 
(Obviously pleased and and agreement, the conversation soon changed with the following responses):
"I wish those other [foreigners & immigrants] would do that" and "YEH, i know some people who've been here for over 20 years and STILL don't speak any of the language."

Where had I heard that before...a very familiar way of thinking. Not all wrong, but DEFINITELY jaded and without compassion and consideration, dangerous.  What I had left out of the question when I had asked "...why shouldn't I learn it..." was the conditional side of the question that also asked: "...why shouldn't I learn it, if I am engaged in a relationship where we can know each other?" THAT changes everything! Thus I had responded to one of those last judging questions with this:

 "Well, I know that I came here with the intention of knowing people and being known. I can see that people value what I say and what I do here and thus its super easy for me to share by learning about who you are. But maybe these people who aren't learning the language don't feel like they are invited to be apart of what's going on here, and if they aren't being valued for who they are, then what's the point of them trying?"

Nobody threw objects at me thank the LORD. It seemed like that spoke to some people, and it spoke to me too even though it came out of my mouth! I think if our world realized and believed that everybody had value, even if for our own selfish benefit, it would at least make us treat people a little better. I'm imagining then if we believed it because its how God sees people, and because we purely want to see the best in people. I think that's what I'm supposed to be looking for when I pray "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, ON EARTH AS IT IS HEAVEN." Negativity about this not being a perfect world and how we're never gonna have piece is disbelief in the power of what God can do and what good people can do in the world.

Looking for a bit of heaven today and tomorrow. Hope you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment