Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Welcome to Norway! It is sweeter than honey - Jeremiah


- Jeremiah

We are in Norway!

We were welcomed so warmly as we arrived at Skien Baptist Church from the airport. We entered the fellowship hall and there were members of all ages there to eat and welcome us. We ate a delicious soup with carrots, potatoes, and chunks of ham. It was really easy to talk to everyone because they could speak English. I instantly learned the "cool," phrases from the youth. Mathias helped me a lot :) After we finished eating and introducing ourselves to everyone we went to our apartment.

Our new apartment felt like home the second we stepped in the door. They provided everything we needed. It was and is all here. They even printed out pictures of us from Facebook, framed them, and hung them in our living room.

Needless to say it has been overwhelming to see what has been waiting for us here in Skien, Norway. As quickly as we arrived we got in a car with our good friend Simen. He was been a generous friend from the moment we met him by the way. Simen drove us to a school in Stavern where graduates from high school go to earn credit for extra curricular activities.

We slept in tents and helped Simen and other Skien young adults by setting up for youth services and participating in worship. We met so many amazing youth and had plenty of time to learn more Norwegian. My Hacky Sack was a super fun tool used for meeting and developing new relationships. It was interesting to see the worship services at this camp. They addressed some controversial topics. I was really encouraged to see leaders being bold and using their voices with courage. As I learn more about my identity I am discovering that I want to use my voice with courage as well. I also feel that I am supposed to encourage those who haven't found out what their identity.  Without knowing  who you are how can you be happy and live a satisfying life? Also, without realizing how unique you are it's hard to appreciate what a beautiful puzzle piece you are and that there is a place specifically made for you.

Even though camp only lasted for about four days I will never forget the experiences of hearing our friends on the local radio station, waking up unable to move from playing too much Hacky Sack, and singing with new friends by the fire at midnight.

Each day here has been proof that we are extremely blessed. God has gone before us and provided all of our needs. This kind of provision is fulfilling our souls in a way I haven't experienced many times before. I am satisfied even though I have no idea what tomorrow looks like. Today I stumbled upon Psalm 19:7
The laws of the Lord is perfect, refreshing to the soul...
Psalm 19:19
They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey form the honey comb. By them your servant is warned; in keeping them there is great reward.


No comments:

Post a Comment