Wednesday, July 13, 2016

New Beginnings

An Allison Blog-

I prided myself as a teen on being a "lover of change" or someone who "gracefully channels transition". I didn't understand that this was credited most likely to my naivety to living as a responsible adult in life and also to the many hormones/endorphines shooting through my bloodstream as a result of my pubescent brain.

WAKE UP TIME!!!!

I've learned about my treasures in life, and what I'm connected to most. It was hard to let go of my teapots, but I adjusted. Even harder to say goodbye to my "sorry" compost (of which i was very proud, even if it did have 20 squash plants in it). I got over that too. It was THE HARDEST thing i had to do to leave behind my friends and my family. Tears still flow if I reminisce for too long. People are harder to leave than stuff.

As much as it pains me to be away from the ones I love, I'm thankful 1) that the Spirit has rooted in me a hunger to love people more than my stuff, and 2) a call to search for people who are meant to be known. This is a common thing that happens to bible characters. God mixes us up, sometimes in a way that seems contrary to what we want, for the good of others, ourselves, and ultimate for the LORD's glory.

Goofing off in a clog at Amsterdam-Schipol Airport






















The beach at Stavern, less than 2km walk from our camp.
Opening up to the North Sea.
So we arrive into beautiful Norway (I have no landing picture on account of my dead phone, sorry) after a brief excursion in Amsterdam. In less than 2 days we find ourself sleeping in a soggy little tent at a retreat type of camp for ALL the baptists in Norway in the beautiful town of Stavern. While being there, I found myself spending time with two sweet teen girls from Estonia, Lisij & Nastija. None of us really speaking Norsk or having a crew of friends we knew, we bonded immediately. One of the most profound moments for me was in the first moments where we met and explored together. We wandered to this little white hobbit-looking chapel nestled into grassy hill. It was beautiful. The floors were made of granite, and the room was full of light. We surveyed the acoustics and many small candles laying on the altar by the small silver plated cross before Lisij and I sat, Nastija still taking her time to discover relics. I quietly said a prayer, and continued to look around. Out of nowhere Nastija asks:

Nastija: "Do you believe?"
Me: (after thinking about it) "Yeah. I do believe."
Nastija:"Do you go to church?"
Me: I do go! (taking a second, I turn to Lisji) "Do you believe?"
Lisji: (With a look of allegiance) Yes, I do believe. And I also go to church.
Me: (back to Nastija) And what about you? Do you believe?
Nastija: (She takes a moment, considering the questions, for real for real.) Yeh, I think I believe, but I don't go to church.
(We're quiet for some moments, taking in the space.)
Me: Would you guys mind if I prayed for us? I think now is a good time.

They said why not, we found some matches in Nastija's purse, and lit the candles together as I prayed for a Holy Spirit fire to ignite in our hearts.
What a question. A million things I could have said...probably should have said. But there was this piece and this simple stirring in our hearts that was meant to be a seed I believe. Maybe they were the comfort I prayed for, the hope for new relationships. God's generous gifts show up in weird ways. Still missing the ones I've known, and yet adding to my company those who will receive me. That day we were all known by one another, and its moments like this that give me hope about starting something new.

Jeremiah sandwiched between Ada (left) & Vetle (right)
ME sandwiched with Lisji (left) & Anastajia "Nastija" (right)

No comments:

Post a Comment