Thursday, November 17, 2016

New Discoveries in Guitar Class - Jeremiah



- Jeremiah

Here in Skien I have started up a guitar class for youth to come and learn guitar. We are learning all kinds of things: popular songs, worship songs, how to sing while playing guitar, and music theory. However, It seems more and more that this guitar class is more than just place to come and learn about music. In the midst of learning all of this music stuff we have become great friends. We have made up many strange, but funny inside jokes and they have helped me learn many useful and useless Norwegian phrases. This is also a great place where they get to hang out with young people they might not usually hang out with, and make new friends.


I think that providing a place for these young people to creatively express themselves, and to make new friends is amazing. These things are a great combination because they also promote self confidence and a place to be vulnerable. The culture here in Norway considers humility to be very important, but sometimes it is considered more important than having self confidence.


My testimony has revolved so much around learning who God created me to be, and being proud of that, and then letting that push me forward. As these young guys learn to play songs they thought were impossible they learn that they are smart and capable. They learn to have confidence. When I see this it makes me think, "What is God pushing me to do that seems impossible?"

SO, this is a great place to push these young people to do things they didn't know they could do. THEN, it also pushes me to stretch myself to grow as well.

It is so cool to see how just a small guitar class has begun to transform these young people and myself.





No comments:

Post a Comment